Tuesday, June 25, 2013


Is God still bigger than cancer when the disease has seemingly won?

“To grunt and sweat under a weary life, but that the dread of something after death, the undiscover’d country from whose bourn no traveler returns, puzzles the will and makes us rather bear those ills we have than fly to others that we know not of.” – Shakespeare

The thought of the one who travels the undiscover’d country that Shakespeare speaks of makes one unsettled and unable to answer, with confidence, the question asked. However, as I watched my sweet mother lose her battle to cancer last night one thing has become clear to me. That, even though it may seem like cancer has claimed its victory on my mother’s body, death turns out to be a mere emissary of Christ. As believers in Christ Jesus we have the guidance of one who has traveled the undiscover’d country and RETURNED—conquering death. What joy and peace we may possess knowing when that day comes we will be met by the One who is versed on that well-trodden road.

1Corithinas 15:54-57 says, “But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immorality, then will come about the saying that is written, ‘Death is swallowed up in victory, O Death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?’ The sting of death is sin, and the poser of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Even though peace and joy fill my soul, I know that sorrow will be my friend for a while as I will mourn her warm embrace, radiant smile, kisses, curly strawberry blonde hair,  joyful laughter, and words of wisdom: love, comfort, and encouragement. She will always be my best friend and I will always strive to be what she prayed I’d be. I will love you forever sweet mother and miss you, every single day.

For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but the things that are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
-2 Corinthians 4:17-18 


































No comments:

Post a Comment