Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Gently Stitched Together



Bright, dark, pastel, neutral—most quilts have an array of colors, yet as I set my eyes on the ensemble at hand, rarely do I stop… to think about the hours, the days, consumed by this beautifully detailed product. How each square was first designed then stitched together to another square with a different design. Two squares fitting together perfectly in size and design. We as humans can create these masterpiece quilts. We spend countless hours designing them and choosing the perfect colors, fabric, and thread. Yet, our attempts to create this perfect piece seem futile as we think about the masterpiece that God has designed and is still designing in us. How He is slowly stitching us together...square by square. Jeremiah says that God knew us before we were born, before we were formed in our mother’s womb. His knowledge is incomprehensible and His design for our life is unimaginable. Lately, I have wondered why so many dark threads have been allowed on my life’s quilt. Why each new square seems darker than the last. As I prayed and pleaded about it and waited for a word from the Lord, He gave me this. “Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!” ~Matthew 7:9-11

I am confident that these dark threads on my quilt are not bad, but they are teaching me, forming me, feeding me, showing me how to trust in the Lord and to not lean on my own understanding. He causes all things to happen for good, for His good. Knowing that my heart can rest in Him allows me to keep persevering through the dark times. These dark squares are essential to create the perfectly designed quilt, and one day when I meet Jesus I know I will be able to see the masterpiece He designed just for me.

As will you!

“For you formed my inward parts; you wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are your works and my soul knows it very well.”

~Psalm 139:13

Here are some random pics that make my heart happy :-)

                                                               God painting the sky
                                                                 His light shines bright!
Losi is helping with dishes

                                                                  I made him :-) lol

                                                                Visiting Mom's grave site
                                                                    Fun Trip in Bend


3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. I feel so honored to read and see your relationship with Christ deepen and grow. And, super cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jess! Just loved this post and love you. Praying for Christ's amazing, abundant blessings on you and Danny! Coll

    ReplyDelete